Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sentence Clauses

         Independent Clauseclause that can stand by itself, also known as a simple sentence. An independent clause contains a subject and a predicate; it makes sense by itself.

Examples include: "Who ate my Gorilla?" "Are we there yet?" "Who parked their car on top of my sandwich?" "Who's idea was this?" "How did I get here?" and "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." (Bison from Buffalo, NY bully other bison from Buffalo, NY.)

Example from Frozen:
"I sell ice for a living."


         Subordinate Clause: a clause that augments an independent clause with additional information, but which cannot stand alone as a sentence. Dependent clauses either modify the independent clause of a sentence or serve as a component of it.

Examples include: "Because I love my reindeer." "When the heat becomes too intense." "and then after we go sledding." "Even though the mountain was steep." and " While I plotted my take over of Arendelle." 

Example from Frozen: 

"This is awkward. Not you’re awkward, but just ‘cause we’re–I’m awkward. You’re gorgeous. Wait, what?”


No comments:

Post a Comment